There are two types of
sticks in my life: hiking poles and knitting needle. I’ve devoted most of this
last week to the first kind because I am spending ten days in Killington, Vermont
at New Life Hiking Spa. The owner,
Jimmy LaSage calls it “Summer Camp for Grown-ups.” Having been to a well-respected
(and more expensive) Spa as well as having been a camp nurse for eight summers,
I would agree.
New Life’s philosophy
centers around a morning hike then activities like water aerobics, yoga, and
stretching in the afternoon. The food is very good, with lots of veggies and
salad. Last night was “steak night.” The portion wasn’t especially large, but
enough for me. The corn in the corn on the cob last night was picked at just the
right time.
I found New Life when
I was asked to rate another Spa where I stayed several years ago. I wanted to
see what the competition was, found New
Life and was so intrigued by its focus on outdoor activity I immediately decided
to come for a 10 day stay. That I could drive here was a real bonus!
Four years ago I bicycled 1500 miles or so on a
cross-the-US biking trip. Then I came home and had my knees replaced. In the
following two years I had joint replacement surgery on my left hip and both
shoulders.
In the
summer of 2012 I rode lots of miles over the back roads of Maine to get ready
for my biking odyssey, then in the winter of 2012-2013 I spent a couple of
hours a day in the gym riding a stationary bike and lifting weights. When the
bike trip was over I had the hemoglobin and hematocrit of a man! My legs were
that strong.
But a not-so-funny thing happened on my way in and out of
the O.R.: I lost my exercise “mojo.”
I needed to be able to walk and stand for an hour or so
when Seacoast Community Chorus went to Scandinavia this past summer, and I wanted to be able to go on a three mile hike. I tried,
but not hard enough, to strengthen my core (and that includes my back) so I
could do so without difficulty. But I failed. Oh, I stood for most concerts,
but the 45 minutes were often excruciating. I kept finding excuses not to walk
as much as I should both before and after the trip. I reminded myself way too
much of my mother, who hated to walk because she hurt so much.
Motion is lotion
and the number 1 cure for low back pain. I know from MRIs and CT scans that my
back pain is not from a slipped disc, but wear and tear, and thus mostly from
weak muscles. There are other concerts to sing and other trips to make before I
am ready to be put out to pasture, so finding a way, any way, to improve my
back pain is critical. Even so, I still could easily find excuses not to
routinely walk at home. Being at a Spa where the focus is on walking has been terrific.
I feel much better. But for now, some pictures of beautiful Vermont with the
leaves in transition from late summer, to now, early autumn.

No comments:
Post a Comment